SEPT 2018 - PRESENT
DevOps Cloud Engineer II (TEKsystems)
- Oversees all aspects of over 30 Red Hat OpenStack
clusters across four environments (Lab, Dev, QA,
and Prod) and three major data centers across the
country; comprising over 3,000 Compute, Controller,
and Director nodes.
- Created automation to perform various tasks to meet
company and system requirements:
- Schedule and submit “Requests for Change” (RFCs)
and “Change Tasks” (CTASKs) within ServiceNow for
all planned changes outside of lab environments.
- Update and patch hypervisors and their core
OpenStack packages and related configurations.
- Deploy and decommission Compute and Controller
nodes using Heat and Nova.
- Gather DNS information across entire clusters
and submit it to a centralized DNS configuration
utility — ensuring accuracy and preventing IP
- Create, implement, and test VLANs and other
Neutron based software defined networks (SDNs)
across fabric interconnects and datacenters.
- Configure hardware and software RAIDs, attach
Cinder shares and other logical volumes.
- Created a custom Python API and web app to gather
details about all OpenStack clusters, and display
helpful tables of information to Operations teams
— such as issues that required manual
- Expanded upon existing internal automation for Cisco
UCS hardware, which bootstraps deployments of service
profiles and operating systems, and contains accurate
information about actively deployed nodes and their
- Produced an API for searching for a VM and its relevant
details (host, cluster, network, etc.) across both
OpenStack environments and our newer VMWare vCenters.
This improved SLA times and reduced interdepartmental
paging for information lookups.
- Overhauled documentation:
- Created new department standards and custom
Confluence article templates to improve
readability and reusability.
- Authored and updated many articles for
policies, procedures, standard changes, and
troubleshooting steps for common activities;
reducing onboarding time and time spent
resolving alerts and recorded incidents.
SEPT 2016 - SEPT 2018
Operating Systems Engineer - Level IV (TEKsystems)
- Authored numerous BASH and Python scripts to
automate time consuming processes:
- Patch and package internal software from source
code into RPM packages, upload them to
decentralized YUM repositories, and distribute
them via Red Hat Satellite to all stores and
branches across the country.
- Update firmware, such as on network interface
cards (NICs) and storage controllers.
- Format and manage hard disks, logical volumes,
filesystems, and mount points.
- Developed several critical Web2Py applications,
which utilized XMLRPC requests and Cron to monitor
the patching and compliance statuses of thousands
of servers across the network.
- Remediated various issues detected by security scans
through vendor partner, Qualys, such as insecure SSL
cipher suites, library exploits, Apache/Nginx headers,
- Coordinated migrations of many development and
production servers from Red Hat Enterprise Linux
(RHEL) 5 to versions 6 and 7.
DEC 2011 - SEPT 2016
Hosting Support Developer (HSDEV) & Tier 3 - Web Pro
- Independently designed and developed several
critical web applications from the ground up
using Node.js, AngularJS, and MongoDB that were
used daily within the Hosting Support department,
- SRT Tracker –
An interactive tracker
for our Server Recovery Team to report and
monitor unresponsive servers, which ensured
our SLA agreements were met with our thousands
of server customers.
- Breakboard –
A highly accurate real-time
break and lunch coordination dashboard for use
by customer support agents and members of
leadership, which ensured over 96% agent
- The RATT –
A streamlined restore tool
for completing content and database restores
across all platforms of our hosting
environments, which significantly reduced
the training and execution time required
by support agents – going from
several days to just a few minutes.
- Restore Forms –
A restore request form
generator for tier 1 support agents to quickly
submit restore escalation tickets to tier 2
agents for processing. This reduced the total
time spent by over 80% and reduced rejections
by over 95% due to reduced user input, ensuring
a high level of accuracy in the submitted
- Ocelot –
extension that augments and improves existing
features and functionality within all
web-based internal tools, such as our CRM,
internal ticketing system, server and database
dashboards, etc. This significantly improved
workflows and reduced fatigue on time consuming
tasks for both agents and members of
- Revolver –
An AutoHotKey based
multi-clipboard manager that stores and
retrieves up to ten recently copied items.
This greatly reduced the amount of time
spent by agents in having to copy and paste
items repeatedly during the workday.
- Responsible for the setup, configuration, and
administration of several development and
production server environments used by all
Hosting Support applications — utilizing
Bash scripts and OpenStack's APIs to deploy
each server on customized CentOS 7 builds.
- Regularly acted as the Scrum master for all
biweekly Sprint planning sessions and demos
for the HSDEV team and its project managers.
- Wrote documentation for all applications and
server configuration settings within
- Created several Bash scripts for automating
the processes involved with setting up
development environments, for easy
collaboration amongst HSDEV team members.
- Responsible for handling up to fifty tier 3
escalation tickets and chats for dedicated
servers, virtual private servers, and
shared hosting plans per day.
- Promoted four times for excellent performance,
continued improvement, and proactively
offering solutions to business needs.